mandag den 3. februar 2014

What a bargain!!

I've had my trusty old Formac 19" VGA monitor for a long time (Also bought 2nd hand of course!). It has served me well for about 7-8 years on two generations of Mac Minis, but now it finally went to monitor heaven... So what to do?

My old 19" display (picture from web)




















  • Get an ordinary PC kind of standard DVI monitor? Well, I have to admit I'm a sucker for Apple design, there is just something about that white plastic and aluminum that is so, well white and plasticky... So a generic PC monitor was out of the question.
  • Get one of those new absolutely gorgeous Apple displays. Yes thanks! Uhm, not so fast... That's WAY over my budget!
  • But here's the solution! Some years ago, before HDMI, DVI or Thunderbolt was standard on Macs, Apple made a line of Cinema Displays with ADC connectors. These Connectors actually contained Power, DVI and USB. Since nothing can use that kind of connector today, nobody wants these displays. But that obsolete connector contains DVI, so naturally it is possible to use these monitors on a modern computer. This is what i found for 40 EUR on the danish equivalent of ebay called dba.dk:


My 23" Apple Cinema Display




















I was very lucky with this one, since it came with an Apple ADC to DVI converter box. That way it worked right away, using the DVI to HDMI adaptor that came with my 2013 Mac Mini. Even without the converter box it would have been possible to make my own adapter by cutting of the ADC plug and wiring it up for power and DVI.

Here is the ambitious way of doing it:

And here is the cowboy way of doing it:

So that's a real bargain for a 23" widescreen display with great picture quality. But you have to do some hacking, if you're not lucky enough to get a display that comes with the converter box. I have spotted the converter box alone some places, but it is generally way too expensive to be interesting, but that may also change, since demand is so little.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar